The Woman's Club of Central Kentucky was formed in Lexington in October and November of 1894. The birth of this organization followed the formation of the General Federation of women's clubs in Chicago in 1890. The WCCK established seven departments: art, music, literature, current events, education, philanthropy and public interests.
During the years following its birth. The group was a force for many reforms in Lexington, including the establishment of Lexington's free public library in 1898. The club also supported woman's suffrage in local school elections and public school reform in Kentucky. It sponsored numerous cultural events and remained active in all forms of public life. The rosters of the membership of the Woman's Club of Central Kentucky include many women who achieved national importance by their public serviced in a variety of fields. Nannie Davis Scoville was the first president of the club and gave an eloquent inaugural address Excerpts include "The club woman would think for herself.....and be not content to have her thinking done for her...she is busy, philanthropic, prudent and forethought....she opens her mouth with wisdom and her tongue is the law of kindness"
At present, the WCCK is headquartered at 210 North Broadway which was the boyhood home of Thomas Hunt Morgan, the first Kentuckian to receive the Nobel Prize.in the new science of genetics in 1933. The club's current description of its purpose is "To further the educational and cultural life of the community and to broaden the outlook of the women of Central Kentucky by keeping them informed on matters of national and international scope. (Loretta Gilliam Brock's A History of the Woman's Club of Central Kentucky, 1894-1994).